Reducing energy consumption
We are doing our part to reduce energy consumption and set specific targets.
Changes to lighting
- Turning off signage lighting in branches at night.
- Suspending the night lighting of our headquarters.
- Expanding our central climate control system to more buildings.
- Replacing our external shading system with 1,600 new blinds on our buildings’ façade.
- Aiming to reduce the energy we use for computers, lighting and air conditioning, we upgrade our branches and technical equipment.
- Striving to meet part of our energy needs through solar energy, we carry out technical studies for installing solar panels on the rooftop of our facilities.
- Gradually installing energy meters to all our buildings and branches.
Awareness and education
- Raising awareness among our people. Educating them on energy saving and environmentally responsible behaviour through dedicated training sessions and volunteer activities..
Our target is to reduce energy consumption by 10% in total over 2022 and 2023.
Sustainable development in action
To limit the impact of our operations, we implement specific actions that protect the environment and promote sustainability:
- We offer environmentally friendly products and services: biodegradable debit cards, WWF Visa, green mortgage loans, green loans for investments in renewable energy sources and e-Statements.
- We manage our energy resources efficiently. We limit our energy use in our branches and offices.
- We buy environmentally friendly products that have a lower carbon footprint. We select environmentally conscious suppliers, according to the Green Procurement Policy we have adopted.
- We recycle and manage the waste we produce.
- We raise awareness among our people and all other stakeholders: shareholders, customers and suppliers. We share the same environmental attitude with them.
- We promote the best sustainability practices within the Greek society, as put forward by international organisations. We set up actions for the environment, sustainability and responsible entrepreneurship.
Leaders in international certifications
Eurobank is certified to 3 ISO standards for the environmental and energy management systems it implements:
ISO 14001 – International standard for environmental management systems
Eurobank has been implementing an environmental management system certified to ISO 14001 since 2004.
The certified environmental management system we implement reduces our environmental impact and improves our environmental performance. Every year it is reviewed by an independent certification body, TÜV Hellas.
Find out more about ISO 14001.
ISO 50001 – International standard for energy management systems
Eurobank has been implementing an energy management system certified to ISO 50001 since 2015.
For our certified energy management system we have received:
- Gold Award Green buildings / Built environment, Hellenic Responsible Business Awards 2022, for renovating the PIRAEUS PORT PLAZA 3 complex in Piraeus.
- Silver Award Energy conservation, Environmental Awards 2022, for reducing energy consumption at Eurobank.
Find out more about ISO 50001.
ISO 14064 – International standard for greenhouse gas emissions
Eurobank has verified its greenhouse gas emissions in compliance with ISO 14064-1. TÜV Hellas, an independent certification body, verified the report.
Find out more about ISO 14064.
EMAS – Eco-Management and Audit Scheme
Eurobank has been listed in the European Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) register by the European Commission since 2009 (registration number EL-000080).
The EMAS includes organisations that comply withRegulation (EC) No 1221/2009 and its amendments, and:
- Helps suppliers improve their environmental performance.
- Increases transparency and credibility in environmental management.
Environment and sustainability are a priority
Environmental protection and sustainable development are our key objectives at Eurobank. We foster them through the policies we adopt, which are in line with international standards:
- The Eurobank Environmental Policy complies with ISO 14001.
- The Eurobank Energy Management Policy complies with ISO 50001 and ISO 14064.
Our Environmental Report sets out our objectives, the systems and actions we implement for the environment and our sustainability, and our environmental performance.