Sustainable development in action
To limit the impact of our operations, we implement specific actions that protect the environment and promote sustainability:
- We offer environmentally friendly products and services: biodegradable debit cards, WWF Visa, green mortgage loans, green loans for investments in renewable energy sources and e-Statements.
- We manage our energy resources efficiently. We limit our energy use in our branches and offices.
- We buy environmentally friendly products that have a lower carbon footprint. We select environmentally conscious suppliers, according to the Green Procurement Policy we have adopted.
- We recycle and manage the waste we produce.
- We raise awareness among our people and all other stakeholders: shareholders, customers and suppliers. We share the same environmental attitude with them.
- We promote the best sustainability practices within the Greek society, as put forward by international organisations. We set up actions for the environment, sustainability and responsible entrepreneurship.
Leaders in international certifications
Eurobank is the first bank in Greece to have received 2 ISO standards for the environmental and energy management systems it implements:
ISO 14001 – International standard for environmental management systems
Eurobank is the first bank in Greece with a certified environmental management system (since 2004) and one of a few in Europe.
The certified environmental management system we implement reduces our environmental impact and improves our environmental performance. Every year it is reviewed by an independent certification body, TÜV Hellas.
Find out more about ISO 14001.
ISO 50001 – International standard for energy management systems
Eurobank is the first bank in Greece with a certified energy management system (since 2015). We received the Gold Award at the Environmental Awards 2015 for our certified energy management system.
Find out more about ISO 50001.
EMAS – Eco-Management and Audit Scheme
Eurobank is the first Greek Bank to be included in the EMAS register for following Regulation (EC) No 1221/2009 on environmental management (since 2009).
The EMAS by the European Commission:
- Helps suppliers improve their environmental performance.
- Increases transparency and credibility in environmental management.
- Requires that suppliers publish an annual environmental report, after review, stating their environmental performance and objectives.
Environment and sustainability are a priority
Environmental protection and sustainable development are our key objectives at Eurobank. We foster them through the policies we adopt, which are in line with international standards:
- The Eurobank Environmental Policy complies with ISO 14001.
- The Eurobank Energy Management Policy complies with ISO 50001.
Our Environmental Report sets out our objectives, the systems and actions we implement for the environment and our sustainability, and our environmental performance.
International partnerships for the environment
We are affiliated with international, European and Greek organisations dedicated to the environment, sustainability and responsible entrepreneurship:
- UN Global Compact
- United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative – UNEP FI
- Eco-Management and Audit Scheme – EMAS
- Energy Efficiency Financial Institution Group – EEFIG
- Sustainable Development Committee of the Hellenic Bank Association
- CSR Hellas
- Greek initiative Sustainable Greece 2020
- Global Sustain
Find out more about the Eurobank partnerships for the environment, sustainability and responsible entrepreneurship.