We fund scientific research and innovation
Greece Innovates! has rewarded researchers, research teams or businesses conducting research in Greece for their innovative business ideas.
We have actively supported the winning teams of the 3 competitions held in 2011, 2013 and 2015:
- We have offered cash prizes (2 prizes for applied research and 2 prizes for innovation).
- We have attracted private funds so they may bring their ideas to life and make commercial use of them.
We have created PR and exposure opportunities for all shortlisted finalists:
- In the media, to reach a broad audience.
- Across the Eurobank network and the networks of other business bodies.
- In meetings with the business and financial communities.
- In regional exhibitions and events held in business and research hubs around Greece.
- Through the Greece Innovates! album distributed to potential investors, businesses and academic institutions.
An independent scientific board with recognised members has evaluated the candidates. They have assessed the features and potential of each innovation:
- Is it original?
- Does it offer a competitive edge?
- Is the field ready to apply it, use it and propagate its benefits?
- Can it be mass produced and used commercially in technology or business?
- How does it enhance the position of the body or business that owns the rights to exploit it (financials, positioning, extroversion, etc.)?
3 successful competitions
The 3 successful Greece Innovates! competitions have resulted in:
- 60 awarded innovative ideas, services and products. Many of them have attracted investment interest and have been developed.
- 747 shortlisted candidacies from the fields of applied research and innovation.
Furthermore, through Greece Innovates!:
- We have contributed to the creation of new jobs, especially for young people.
- We have shown that innovation offers a competitive advantage.
- We have connected research and innovative ideas to entrepreneurship and production.
- We have showcased the power of creativity and research in Greece as means for the country to overcome the economic crisis.
We build on our values
- “Healthy entrepreneurship is what creates value for the customers of a business, its employees, its shareholders and ultimately society in its entirety.”
- “Greece’s scientific, technological and business reserves must spearhead the efforts to reboot the Greek economy and become the country's strong competitive advantage.”
- “Innovation is a necessary condition to improve the competitiveness of Greece and get the economy back on the growth track.”