We promote culture in Greece
We support the efforts of artists to present unique musical compositions that foster intellectual stimulation and the spirit of culture. We believe that in these tough times, opportunities for intellectual stimulation must be encouraged more than ever.
In June 2023 we will sponsor the new opera production Madama Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini, directed by internationally acclaimed director Olivier Py and staged by the Greek National Opera. The Japanese tragedy was staged for the first time at Milan’s La Scala in 1904, while this year, it will be the opening production of the 2023 Athens Festival, at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus.
What we have accomplished so farWe entertain the young and old and help them cultivate their music education through classic and contemporary works.
Greek National Opera
We have supported major productions of the Greek National Opera as an exclusive sponsor:
- Don Quixote by Marius Petipa – The Greek National Opera Ballet staged the classic choreography by Marius Petipa to the music of Ludwig Minkus, at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre in December 2022. Costumes were by the internationally acclaimed designer Mary Katrantzou.
- The Tales of Hoffman by Jacques Offenbach – One of the most popular French operas was staged at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre in January 2023, directed by leading European opera and theatre director Krzysztof Warlikowski. La Monnaie Opera of Brussels participated in the production.
- Don Carlo by Giuseppe Verdi – Co-produced by the Royal Opera House, London, the New York Metropolitan Opera and the Norwegian National Opera. It was presented in December 2019 and January 2020 at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre.
- Nabucco by Giuseppe Verdi – Directed by Leo Muscato, one of the most popular operas by Giuseppe Verdi was staged in June 2018 at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus. An original production with the renowned baritone Dimitri Platanias as performer, the opera opened the 2018 Athens Festival.
- Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi – One of the most popular operas by Giuseppe Verdi, directed by Nikos Petropoulos. The opera was staged in 2017 for 4 performances at the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center.
- Aida by Giuseppe Verdi – Conductors: Elias Voudouris and Myron Michailidis. Director: Enrico Castiglione. Aida was the opening production of the 2016 Athens Festival, with 4 performances at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus.
- Tribute to Teresa Stratas – Conductor: Elias Voudouris. The life and career of the legendary Greek-Canadian soprano were presented in a production staged for one night only at Olympia Theatre in May 2015.
- Pagliacci by Ruggero Leoncavallo – Exclusively sponsored by Eurobank, the Suitcase Opera of the Greek National Opera staged the production in 2015. With the sets and costumes packed in a suitcase, the opera travelled to 8 Greek cities. Accompanied by a single piano, the troupe brought to life the tragic story of Canio.
- Don Giovanni by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Conductor: Lukas Karytinos. Director: Yannis Houvardas. This Greek National Opera production was staged at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus in June 2014.
Athens Concert Hall
We have sponsored productions staged at the Athens Concert Hall:
- Every Wish Is a Song! – The Rosarte Children’s Choir sent its own festive message in this musical journey. In 2016, 230 young choristers sang some all-time classic Christmas carols, taking us on a journey through Greece and the world over.
- Handel's Messiah – In 2016 the awarded Armonia Atenea Camerata performed one of the most enduring Christmas musical masterpieces on period instruments. Distinguished vocal soloists and the Musica Atenea choir accompanied the orchestra.
- Adagio – Music for Easter – In 2014 we were the exclusive sponsors of 5 performances held at the Athens Concert Hall as part of the production Adagio – Music for Easter.
Each performance was dedicated to a different composition. The musicians performed the St John Passion by Johann Sebastian Bach, Epitaphios by Mikis Theodorakis and other works.
- Maria Stuarda by Gaetano Donizetti – The opera inaugurated the historic partnership between the Athens Concert Hall and Milan’s La Scala in 2011. The performances coincided with a groundbreaking educational project for 5,000 students.
Performances for Children
From 2013 to 2016 we were exclusive sponsors of the Sunday Mornings at the Concert Hall, an event staged at the Athens Concert Hall for the last 20 years. Every Sunday morning, artists performed popular works with the aim of introducing children and young people to the world of music.
During the 2014-2015 season, we sponsored a musical rendition of Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne for children. We held a special performance for 350 children from 9 charities. The interactive show and the music offered a unique theatrical experience to the young audience.