We support Greek athletes
We actively support our athletes as they painstakingly prepare for major competitions. Eurobank has been the:
- Official sponsor of the Greece basketball teams since 2001. It is the longest running sponsorship in Greek sports and one of the longest in Europe.
- Gold sponsor of the Olympic sailing duo Panagiotis Mantis and Pavlos Kagialis since 2017.
We stand by Greek athletes who train with diligence and ethos. We support them in their efforts to outdo themselves. We share their joys and sorrows throughout their sporting careers.
What we have accomplished so far
We are supporting the Greek sailing duo and Rio 2016 Olympic champions Panagiotis Mantis and Pavlos Kagialis in their endeavours towards the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in the men's 470 sailing class.
With our support Spyros Gianniotis won the silver medal in the 10 km marathon swim at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio. In 2015 Spyros had also landed the bronze in the 10 km open water race at the FINA World Aquatics Championship.
We sponsored Spyros Gianniotis as part of the “Adopt an Athlete on their Way to Rio 2016” campaign launched by the Hellenic Olympic Committee.
With our sponsorship in Greek basketball, we have been supporting all the National Basketball Teams since 2001. During this time they have earned 24 medals including:
- Gold medal at the 2017 FIBA U20 European World Championship Men.
- Gold medal at the 2015 FIBA U18 European World Championship Men.
- Silver medal at the 2006 FIBA World Championship Men.
- Silver medal at the 2009 FIBA World U19 World Championship Men.
- Silver medal at the 2005 FIBA U21 World Championship for Men.
- Silver medal at the 2015 FIBA Europe U20 Championship for Women (Division B).
We also sponsored leading Greek sailing champion Sofia Bekatorou from 2001 to 2016. Sofia was the first female flag bearer for Greece in the history of Summer Olympics. She made us proud with her amazing career successes globally. She is a two-time Olympic champion, having won a gold and a bronze.
We build on our values
Sports represent important values for us; for this reason, they form a fundamental part of the Eurobank Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives. We believe that:
- “Athletes show the young people of Greece that everything is possible with hard work, discipline, perseverance and target-setting.”
- “Apart from the medals, it is the moral values that athletes carry which count: persistence, dedication to one’s target, effort and mainly ethos. We believe that these are much-needed values in today’s society.”
- “Basketball demonstrates that Greece has capabilities. It is an honour and a privilege for Eurobank to be a steady sponsor.”
We carry on strong
For yet another year, we are the major sponsor of all the National Basketball Teams. We are standing by the Men’s National Basketball Team, who qualified for the FIBA World Basketball Cup 2019 in China. Follow the Hellas Basketball Team on Facebook and keep up with the progress of all the national teams at major competitions.
Today sailing duo Panagiotis Mantis and Pavlos Kagialis represent the values of Eurobank – ethos, perseverance and dedication to one’s target – which serve as an example to us all.
We also encourage budding athletes who compete with ethos. They lead by example due to their persistence and determination.